Thursday, May 10, 2007

Story Lines You Just Don't Read in MLB Game Recaps 5/11/07

Gary Knotts Notches First "W" Since October '04

Yes, you read that right. In leading the Newark Bears to victory in the rubber match of their series with the Bridgeport BlueFish today, Gary Knotts pitched for a victory--his first since 2004! Not only that but game time was at 11:30, a fairly common Thursday start time (not to mention a pain in the ass while I am gainfully employed but something that is going to be amazing come August when I am "in transition.") Having been unable to make the game, I can only report what the Bears own website is giving me. And the news is, thankfully, better than a five game errorless streak. In fact, it turns out that the Bears won the series by putting on some early season fireworks, crushing three dingers. Backup Catcher Jason Torres (no relation to SeÑor Torres) is making a case for some more playing time with his first homer of the season. Meanwhile Keith Reed, a former standout Orioles Farmhand, and Javier Colina taking a half-day off and DHing both hit one of their own.

Knotts, apparently once made some starts for the Marlins and Tigers. Still, one has to think that with two and a half years between W's, Knotts probably enjoyed this victory as much as any. Other news regarding a more popular member of the Bears' staff: The Atlantice League Baseball News (can we just call them ALBN from now on? We're buds, right?) is reporting that there were around five scouts in attendance for Bobby Brownlie's start during Tuesday's home opener. Brownlie also got a pretty nice writeup in his local rag, which also took the opportunity to point out how far Brownlie's star has fallen and rip teammate Edwin Almonte--jerks! (Rip on my Bears and maybe I should point out that you repeated two lines and two quotes in your copy, bro. Only us fans are aloud to poke the Bears.) Here's the rub on a guy like Brownlie, who, I am starting to think might be a big fish in a small pond here. Do I root for the kid to keep ripping (it was just one start, I need to relax, I know) even though this might means he gets a minor league contract from one of the big guys? Or should I be selfish and hope he sticks around and falters here and there so I can greedily enjoy him outclassing the oposition before my very eyes. It adds on a whole new aspect to being a fan. You want your team to succeed, and part of that means wanting its stars to really succeed, which in the end might mean them being snatched up from under your nose. I am rooting for Brownlie to get as much success as possible, though. The kid signed a 2 million dollar contract out of college, and has Scott Boras as an agent, so he isn't as much of a loveable underdog as someone like Peavey. But as long as I get to see him start a few times, and then he makes it for a September Call-up in Tampa Bay next year or the year after that. I'll feel I was a part of his journey. Besides, even if Brownlie impresses a scout enough to get swept away from us, we'll always have Gary Knotts. Safe money says he's not going anywhere.

No comments: